Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Verbatim 16x DVD+R On It's Way

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Verbatim 16x DVD+R On It's Way

Postby Ian on Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:05 pm

Verbatim 1-16x DVD+R Media Sets the Standard for Reliability, Durability at High Speeds

Monday July 19, 8:01 am ET
Used by Leading Manufacturers to Test Compatibility, Tune Burners

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 19, 2004--Verbatim® Corporation, a core member of the DVD+RW Alliance, today announced plans to release 1-16X speed DVD+R media. With the ability to record at about 21 MB/sec, the discs will store 4.7GB of video, photos, music or data files in about five minutes. Verbatim is working closely with the verification authorities and expects to begin manufacturing certified 1-16X DVD+R media shortly after specifications are released later this month. Sample 16X media has already been provided to five of the leading burner manufacturers that are tuning their drives to Verbatim's high-performance media.

The key component in achieving 16X speed DVD+R media that delivers optimum performance, superior quality and the broadest compatibility is the proprietary Advanced AZO(TM) recording layer technology developed by Verbatim's parent company, Mitsubishi® Kagaku Media (MKM). By using the proven dye technology incorporated in its 8X DVD+R media as the platform for the new, more sensitive Advanced AZO technology, MKM engineers not only achieved 16X +R write speed, they ensured that the new media will maintain backward compatibility with existing DVD recorders and 1-8X DVD+R burners.

The patented AZO dye features excellent thermal and optical properties for a wider power margin and increased sensitivity to laser light for high-speed recording. Reliability is enhanced by controlling the heat interference between recording marks, which reduces degradation of the recording marks. This minimizes the jitter and enables superior recording characteristics across the entire range of available recording speeds, from 1X through 16X.

In addition, the high-speed Verbatim media will be produced using advanced precision molding technology that ensures a consistently flat disc surface.

"The flatness of the media is especially critical for 16X recording because it minimizes the errors that can occur during high-speed recording," explained Tim Clatterbuck, Verbatim's Optical Storage Marketing Manager. "The recording speed is the fastest at the outer diameter, where the disc is most susceptible to flatness issues. Because of this, precise molding and extremely flat media is vital at the 16X write speed. Working closely with the format working group as well as the verification authorities and leading burner manufacturers, consumers can be confident that Verbatim 16X DVD+R media will perform as expected."

Reliable, high-speed recording and broad compatibility will make Verbatim's new 16X DVD+R discs ideal for sharing computer data, home videos, photos, and music. With write-once security and 4.7 GB of capacity, the media will also be an excellent storage solution for fast backups and archiving.

Availability

Backed by a limited lifetime warranty, Verbatim 16X DVD+R media will ship shortly after the media specifications are approved later this month. The new high-speed media will be available through leading retailers, Internet resellers and distributors across the country in September.

About Verbatim

Verbatim® Corporation, a Mitsubishi® Kagaku Media Company, is an international organization that develops and markets innovative, high-quality products for storing, moving and using digital content. Known for its leadership in the removable storage media and related accessories markets, the company provides reliable, unique technologies and products that are highly sought after and broadly distributed worldwide. For more information, contact Verbatim at 1200 W.T. Harris Boulevard, Charlotte, NC 28262, 800-421-4188, FAX 704-547-6609; or visit the company's web site at www.verbatim.com.

Verbatim is a registered trademark of Verbatim Corporation. Other company and product names contained herein are trademarks of their respective companies. Specifications subject to change without notice.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:06 pm

I know their press release says September, but knowing Verbatim's distribution, I wouldn't expect to see this media until November or later. ](*,)
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby digitaldoc on Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:45 pm

Let's hope they don't try to sell it as part of some "media solution pack" with 10 8x discs and one 16x disc for $30. I couldn't believe they were doing it for the DL discs at Microcenter and elsewhere.
BTC 1008
BTC 316c 16x dvd-rom
LiteOn 52327S
LiteOn 52246S
Plextor 12x10x32
Benq 4816P
HP 7200e (retired)
digitaldoc
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:35 pm

They'll be in 3-pack with cases for $15 per pack, same as the 8x when they first came out. :sick:
Verbatim is a company I love to hate. :evil:
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:44 pm

So how goods Verbatium DVD media now? Worth getting?
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby Boba_Fett on Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:59 pm

Verbatim has been odd for about a year now. Previously, they were considered the best media makers, bar none (because they only used MCC or Taiyo Yuden dye). Nowadays people have found CMC dye in their media (the top generic dye in the world). Most definately not worth their premium price for single layer DVD-+R. I would stick with Fuji (If it says "made in japan" on the spindle it is taiyo yuden dye, best of the best).
eVGA NF4 SLI mobo
Opteron 165 Dual Core 1MB cache @ 2.5ghz
2GB Mushkin DDR PC4000
2x160GB & 1x250GB 7,200RPM SATA w/NCQ
eVGA Geforce 7900 GTO 512MB PCI-e
Pioneer 111D 16x DVD burner
Onboard Sound :(
Boba_Fett
CD-RW Player

Postby Shredder on Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:28 pm

Boba_Fett wrote:Verbatim has been odd for about a year now. Previously, they were considered the best media makers, bar none (because they only used MCC or Taiyo Yuden dye). Nowadays people have found CMC dye in their media (the top generic dye in the world). Most definately not worth their premium price for single layer DVD-+R. I would stick with Fuji (If it says "made in japan" on the spindle it is taiyo yuden dye, best of the best).

Fuji is doing samething as Verbatim. It is getting harder to find quality media nowadays. Buying Maxell brand is probably better, although they are starting to do samething like rest of them.
Shredder
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:43 pm

Maxell uses Ritek for their CD-R's (execept the "Pro" discs, they're TY's).
Their DVD's aren't Ritek, too are they?
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:05 pm

BurninMan921 wrote:Maxell uses Ritek for their CD-R's (execept the "Pro" discs, they're TY's).
Their DVD's aren't Ritek, too are they?

Not anymore. Maxell 4x DVD-Rs are either Maxell or Taiyo Yuden, the 4x DVD+Rs are either Maxell or RicohJPN (which could be argued are Ritek... but some of them appear to be Ricohjpn made in JAPAN)
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:15 pm

Hmm...I'll have to pick up some Maxell DVDs then!

I like Riteks CD-Rs (they work great in my 52327S), but their DVDs have sucked since they went to 4x.

Ricoh's old 2.4x DVDs are great; I went through a ton of 'em (seemed every manufacter used Ricohs back in the 2.4x days). I haven't tried any of their new stuff (haven't come across any)..still as good?
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:20 pm

I still use Ritek CD-Rs too... which is saying a lot actually! :o

Ricoh's DVDRs seem stable so far, even when made by Ritek.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:24 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I still use Ritek CD-Rs too... which is saying a lot actually! :o

:o Wow!

I only nab the Maxell CD-Rs when they're on sale...I try to stick to TY's for CD-Rs (and DVDs, now that they're cheap). Gotta experiment with 4x DVD-R Optodiscs, though (also gotta get me a Plex Px-712!)...
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:39 pm

BurninMan921 wrote:Gotta experiment with 4x DVD-R Optodiscs, though (also gotta get me a Plex Px-712!)...

Umm, don't do both of those together :-?

The PX-712a does *NOT* work with Optodisc DVD-Rs, unless they are Mini DVD-Rs or DVD-RWs. That means it will fail during the burn process on 4x DVD-Rs, and produce lousy results with 8x DVD-Rs (from Optodisc). The Pioneer with 1.16 firmware, and NEC 2500 with Herrie's 1.07 Beta 5 produce the best results on Optodisc 4x DVD-Rs so far. The LiteON 832s with hacked write strategy (use AML for Optodisc 4x DVD-Rs) works fairly stably as well (best I've found so far).

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:38 pm

Thanks for the heads up; it was what I was planning to do. Guess the 'ol 2500 still has some life left in her :)
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:12 pm

Buy TY if you don't like Verbatim made by CMC and Maxell made by Ritek. :D

Ty's saying they do all involved works inside Japan to keep a tight control on everything to manufacture the best disks possible. Most other companies go to China for lower cost often sacrificing quality and proper communication for synchronization of the involved processes.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:43 pm

Kennyshin wrote:Buy TY if you don't like Verbatim made by CMC and Maxell made by Ritek. :D

Ty's saying they do all involved works inside Japan to keep a tight control on everything to manufacture the best disks possible. Most other companies go to China for lower cost often sacrificing quality and proper communication for synchronization of the involved processes.

That's true too! But most company's *Ahem*ritek*ahem* don't like people to know that they also have a chinese plant making CD-Rs and I think DVDRs as well :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:13 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
Kennyshin wrote:Buy TY if you don't like Verbatim made by CMC and Maxell made by Ritek. :D

That's true too! But most company's *Ahem*ritek*ahem* don't like people to know that they also have a chinese plant making CD-Rs and I think DVDRs as well :wink:

I sometimes mean the "Greater China" when I say China, including Taiwan and Hong Kong, and sometimes Malaysia and the two Koreas as well. After all, Ritek and Asus can produce at the lowest cost possible on the planet because they share some things with the mainland. :D
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby pachi on Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:45 am

i had ritek dvdr and my plextor 721a wont read them...IMO they suck.. :evil:
pachi
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers