Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Dru500a (problems in WinXP)

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Dru500a (problems in WinXP)

Postby kenball on Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:13 am

This is the problem. For some reason my Sony Dru-500a just stop showing up in on pc. When I boot up my pc the drive is there on the bios screen but once I get into windows it isn't there. I check the Device Manager and the drive is there with a "error balloon" next to it. After checking the device properties, I get this error under the "Device status"

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

After uninstalling the device and restarting the pc, I have the same problems. Also since the drive didn't come with any drivers I cant reinstall them, only the windows xp drivers are there.

I'm running WinXP Pro with SP1 with the firmware upgrade for the drive. The drive been upgraded since the firmare came out, so i doubt it that. And like it said it just start doing this today. Anyone know what could be causing this?
kenball
Buffer Underrun

Postby boblx2 on Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:05 pm

You should not need any drivers for the DRU-500A. There is always the chance that you have a bad drive but before making that assumption you should probably de-install the drivers through device manager. Then I would remove the drive from the system (unplug the cables) and bring the system up without the hardware connected. Then the system should come up clean with no mention of a DVD burner. If that runs clean then bring the system all the way down, re-install the cables and bring it back up. Now XP should find the new hardware and install it.
If you do all of that and it still does not run clean in Device Manager you probably do have a bad drive. XP does not need any additional drivers for you to install. But there could be conflicts so be sure and look in the device manager to be sure there are no conflicts. XP is usually resourceful enough to avoid conflicts though.

Good luck with it.......
Have fun.........Bob
boblx2
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers