Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Looking to replace my old DVD-ROM

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Looking to replace my old DVD-ROM

Postby Fuct on Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:10 pm

Ok, here's the deal... I have an older Samsung DVD-ROM SD-612, and maybe I've used it too much or it's not that good but it feels kinda sluggish and occasionally will spin-up and lock my computer for a couple seconds.. kind of annoying. I don't know if this is normal, or just from overuse (I did a lot of DVD-ROM -> HD transfers).. if anyone knows anything bout this lemme hear it :) But to make a long story short, I'm possibly in the market for a new CD/DVD-ROM.
I would go with CD-ROM because I don't really need a DVD-ROM, I have a standalone player, but for the price these days it can't be too terrible.
I'm wondering if anyone can suggest me some good DVD-ROMs and even CD-ROMs, reasonably priced, that would be good for me? I will mostly be using it to install apps + games, playing games, creating cd images, and possibly some DAE - and a nice bonus (but not necessarily needed) would be being able to read protected cds.
The only good recent deal I've seen around me, being in Canada, is the LG DRD-8160B dvd-rom. I know its not the best for DAE, but otherwise seems solid. In US dollars, it's priced at about $65 US, and after mail-in rebate would be about $47 ($73 CDN, pretty decent for our prices). If anyone has any info on other good cd and dvd-roms, and/or knows any good deals for drives in either US or Canada, please feel free to post! :)
Sorry for the really long post, guess I had more to write than I thought.
Fuct
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:10 pm

The LG DRD-8160B is good for reading copy protections, but Lite-On DVD-ROM's are traditionally known for both reading copy protections and having fast DAE.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Fuct on Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:57 pm

Which model of Lite-On dvd-rom is the best one to get? I haven't been really up to date with DVD-Roms, but I think there's always a lot of discussion between LTR-163 and LTR-166? Any preferences for one or the other, and a good place (online or in-store) to purchase these dvd-roms?
Fuct
Buffer Underrun

Postby eliminator on Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:23 am

just get the new ltr-166 !... it's less then $50 retail !
Wake up ATI :-)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:30 am

You can't go wrong with Newegg.com, they have the LTD-166S for $45...then again...so does Googlegear.com. Your choice. :)
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:18 am

Yep - my local retail Altex store got it for $48 8)
Wake up ATI :-)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers