Home News Reviews Forums Shop

finally, is there a PROVEN way how to switch 8320 to DMA?

Burn baby burn!

finally, is there a PROVEN way how to switch 8320 to DMA?

Postby DavidU on Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:40 pm

subject says it all... I saw that many people are not happy with some LG drives which using PIO4 and so using so many of CPU and can`t be switched to the DMA on XP`s.

So to summarize that... is there some PROVEN way to do that? Should help some firmware updates?

Please only PROVEN thoughts...

Thank you,
David
DavidU
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:09 pm

No, there is no way to get it to support UDMA 33. According to LG, the hardware does not support it.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby DavidU on Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:18 pm

so, UDMA33 not.. but what about DMA only... I have now updated my SIS IDE drivers and there are available informations for each drive hooked to IDE... and there is written that LG drive supports PIO4 AND DMA2 ... but than when I want to change this to DMA (in secondary IDE dialog) it still remain on PIO...

now I`m going to set it up in bios...
DavidU
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:59 am

The best you can do is have Windows set the IDE channel to use DMA if possible, and the LG GCE-8320B will come up as Multi-Word DMA Mode 2...which is the same transfer rate as PIO4. Sorry, but the fastest transfer rate you can get with this burner is 16.6MB/s.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby DavidU on Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:16 am

Yes The Wizard is right! Multi Word DMA is the way... but the MAIN point is not to increase transfer speed but to dramatically lower CPU usage! With PIO4 mode was my P1.8 usage about 80% and now with DMA only about 8% so I can easly browse when burning cd :)

And HOW TO DO THAT? Here is what I did..
Simple change on secondary IDE to "use DMA if possible" dont work even when you restart you XP`s .... so I updated my IDE drivers from standard XP`s to new SIS... this will update your UDMA IDE controller but primary and secondary IDE drivers will remain the same...so still no change... and now... hit the primary (or secondary) and push to update driver manualy.. than find the way to your new IDE drivers (if you dont have new ones try some older..should work..) and click to update and finish... thats simple and you can`t do anything bad.
After update of secondary driver I had there yellow exclamation mark... so I did following step - I have hit to "roll back to old drivers" on the secondary IDE properties.. it have rolled back but not with PIO again but with Multi Word IDE and without yellow exclamation mark...

Now when I`m copying or burning with my LG drive I should do anything else because CPU usage is only about 8%

GOOD LUCK to all!

David
DavidU
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:15 pm

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon