Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a worldwide leader in digital consumer electronics and information technology, announced today its new slim external DVD writer, the SE-218BB optical disc drive (ODD) that sets the industry standard for ultra portable drives.
Built to accompany a new generation of ultrabook and slim laptop designs, the SE-218BB features a compact size that is 18% thinner than conventional DVD writers and is the world’s thinnest external optical disc drive with a 14mm height. The drive is 8% lighter than Samsung’s conventional DVD writer and built to accommodate today’s mobile lifestyle.
“With its ultra small footprint, consumers will appreciate the SE-218BB sleek drive as an ideal companion for ultrabook users that quickly connects and is USB powered to access content wherever they are,” said Maverick Choi, ODD senior manager, Samsung Semiconductor, Inc. “Through its AV connectivity mode, the drive is also ideal for Tablet PC users that want to view or hear content from a disc.”
Using Smart Power technology, SE-218BB connects through its single USB port to power the drive and provide AV connectivity to PCs and notebook computers. For Tablet PCs with a built-in USB port and supporting Android Honeycomb OS 3.1 or above, the SE-218BB allows users on-the-go to watch DVD content on their tablets.
The SE-218BB DVD writer is engineered to be compatible with all major operating systems, including Win7 and Mac OS. Featuring Buffer Under Run technology, the drive works to prevent errors that result from writing speeds that can exceed data transfer speeds, while also enabling PC multi-tasking.
The SE-218BB DVD writer is an eco-friendly product, manufactured with lead-free soldering technology that eliminates harmful materials such as Pb, cd, cr+6, Hg, PBBs and PBDE.
The external DVD drive is capable of reading and writing files at a variety of speeds across different data media types including: 24X CD-ROM, 24X CD-RW, 8X DVD±R recording, 5X DVD-RAM recording, 6X DVD+R Dual Layer recording, 6X DVD-R Dual Layer recording, 8X DVD+RW recording and 6X DVD-RW recording.
The SE-218BB is available now worldwide at online retail outlets with a MSRP of US$ 59.99. For more information please visit www.samsungodd.com.
- RITEK To Showcase High-End BDXL Blu-ray Discs At Computex 2012
- Buffalo Announces BRXL-PC6VU2 BDXL Compatible Portable Blu-ray Disc Writer
- DIGISTOR Ships Printable 100GB BD-R XL Media
- Another Hitachi-LG Data Storage Exec Pleads Guilty To Optical Disc Drive Bid-Rigging
- Pioneer Introduces BDR-2207 BDXL Compatible Blu-ray Disc Writer
- Rimage Announces Blu Lock Anti-Rip Copy Protection For Blu-ray Discs
- Sony Announces 1.5TB Optical Disc Archive Storage System
- I-O Data Announces BRD-UT14X External USB 3.0 Blu-ray Disc Writer
- StorageQuest Announces Availability Of Blu-ray Optical Network Appliance
- DISC Announces ArXtor Series Of Blu-ray Archival Storage Libraries